Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Diet Fails and Triumphs: Update 1

I'm not sure what the secret is to following all dieting rules all the time, but I think it's pretty clear that I have NOT found it... 

I've made myself some "food rules" in addition to my 1200 net calories per day limit. Basically things like only one soda a day, only one treat a day, work out at least three days a week, etc. One huge change I have made to my diet came about after watching a documentary called "Forks Over Knives." It turns out that meat has way more protein than we actually need, and that societies who eat a ton of meat have much higher prevalence of heart disease, cancer, and other major health problems. They advocate for a completely plant-based, whole foods diet. I can't go that far, but I have completely cut meat out of my diet. I still eat fish, but (unless it's all in my head and, like, the placebo effect), I feel so much better. Meat makes me feel full and bloated and I haven't felt that way in the past month or so (which is how long I've been eating vegetarian meals).

Based on the last time I stepped on the scale, things are actually going pretty well. I've lost 4.5 pounds which is actually super impressive. I did pretty well for a while. I went to the gym, I followed my food rules, and I was feeling great. 

Last week, all started going to hell. A new week's assignment started for my "Couch to 5K" running program and it KICKED MY ASS. I went the first day and barely made it through the workout. The second day, it was even more rough so I just walked until I burned a couple hundred calories. Then I skipped the third day and haven't gone since. My excuse is that it's midterm week and "I have no time." UGH.

Then... a ridiculous two-day, 20-hour speech tournament happened. They provide all food for coaches/judges. All the sweets/treats were so yummy and they didn't really have low-cal options. I was all ready to get back into the groove when... let's just say I got to the point in the month where I want to EAT ALL OF THE FOOD. And that happened. Also, stress from midterms.

Here's to getting back on track and getting the courage to step back on the scale and assess the damage... 


No comments:

Post a Comment