Wednesday, May 23, 2012

#7! Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins (FINALLY)

Well, the time has finally come where I have pulled my lazy face out of the food (not really actually, I'm still eating like a fat kid eats cake) and my lazy brain away from the TV (... also false) and finished the 7th book!

My general assessment: it was "aiight." To be quite honest, the feeling I had when I finished the last page was not "OMG amazeballs!" but rather more like "Good God, I've finally finished that series and I can move onto bigger and better things..."

I mean, I have no big complaints other than it wasn't anything special. Part of me wondered if it's because, at the age of 21, I've graduated from being a child who likes children's books! Ha. But then I realized that it really doesn't matter how old I am or the reading level of the book. A truly great piece of literature will bring joy to readers of all ages! As I've probably mentioned too many times already (in different words)... This is something Harry Potter does very well.

Yes, I realize I compare every young adult series to Harry Potter because, let's face it, Rowling set the bar pretty damn high! And why should we be easier on the books that follow?

Don't get me wrong, the Hunger Games series was good enough to get me to buy all three and keep reading. It's not very deep, but there are some parts that got me thinking and that is a start. And, I will say, the concept is very fascinating. Collins just could have done so much more with it.

On a scale of 1 to Harry Potter, I give the Hunger Games series a solid 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment