Thursday, May 3, 2012

I'm still alive...

Or barely, that is. This is the last week of classes and next week is finals week, so I'm sad to say I have not been anywhere near the world of literature. Well... I carry my book in my backpack every day, but that's the closest I get.

 I am aware that I am way way way behind if I want to get in 50-- or even just 30-- books in this year. (How did it get to be MAY already!?) But I told myself from the beginning that I didn't want to make reading (one of the few things that brings me peace) into a stressful event. I have so many deadlines in my life already: homework, exams, coaching obligations, fundraising...

 In fact, let's take this time to extend my blog beyond books in the mean time and share a little bit about what else I've been up to lately (besides stuDYING because that's nothing exciting).

 1. FUNRAISING, FUNDRAISING, and MORE FUNDRAISING


Some of my family and a couple friends are participating as a team in the Susan G. Komen 3Day for the Cure this August. We have to raise $2300 per person and we have a team of 5 (YIKES!) so we've been working really hard to raise enough for everyone to participate (without having to pay out of pocket, because you're actually obligated to the money once you sign up). Which is why I haven't technically signed up yet. If we don't raise enough, I, a college student, clearly do not have $2300 laying around. So, by suggestion of my smart mother, I am waiting until I know we have the money. But I've been fundraising and training (6-7 mile walks!) so I really hope we raise enough for me. Cross your fingers!

 In addition to the fundraising (and trying to keep my apartment clean/livable) I've found something else to bring me peace while reading isn't an option (because we all know I'll pick up a book, never put it down, and get nothing done!).

 2. Yoga!

 I LOVE IT! Summer is coming, which means I'll have to reveal a little more than I'm comfortable with due to the warm weather. I cut snacking down to a minimum (though I'm not on any strict diet) and since I hate running, I thought I'd try some daily yoga. I figured, hey, maybe it'll bring some peace and balance in my life... I have a DVD that I bought a while ago and tried a couple times:


I love this reality TV star! Besides the fact that she's freakin' hilarious, she's also sort of inspiring in a way. Anyway, I never really stuck with it, but I do remember enjoying it, so I wanted to try to get into a daily routine. I've now done four days in a row (I don't think I've ever stuck to a workout plan that long!) and going strong. The first day was BRUTAL but it got easier tenfold even the second day! I feel so relaxed, peaceful, balanced, and motivated when I finish. Yoga has such a detoxifying effect. This is my favorite among the poses I have learned:

Tree pose. :) Feels great!

 Stay tuned! As soon as finals are over, there's no doubt I'll get through my next book in a matter of just a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment