Sunday, December 9, 2012

#18: My new goal is 20

I'm not sure why it is that I always forget how time consuming, you know, getting a degree is. It really does take over your life. Thus, I am 32 books behind on my original (ridiculous) goal. Although, going back and re-reading what the "goal" really stood for, I'm doing pretty well. I wanted to read more and I did that. I wanted to write a blog about it and I did that. I think that's a success.

But I digress.

Naturally, I went on to read book #2 of mega-series. It was good and I got more out of it, and all that jazz.

In fact, yesterday my debaters had their national qualifier tournament. Our team is part of one of the most talented, competitive, and cut-throat districts in the country. Our kids are incredibly hard workers and extremely skilled in what they do, but unfortunately a good handful of them missed qualifying by just about the smallest margin possible. Then I came home all bummed for them and finished off this book, at the end of which Dumbledore says, "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." It made me think of our debaters. They have incredible abilities, but they also chose to make this season about leading their team with sponsorship. They represent their school, their district, their state, with excellence and class. That is far more important than any national tournament. I'm so proud of them and honored to have coached them.

But I digress.

The last week of classes and, subsequently, finals week is coming. I don't expect to get much reading done, but I'm sure as hell going to try!

Peace out, cyberspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment