Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 in Review & 2013 in Anticipation

Okay, maybe I didn't reach my original book goal, in terms of number, that is. I did, however, learn what was possible and attainable while maintaining full time student status, and managing two awesome, yet time consuming, jobs. It's not 50, that's for sure.

But, in reflecting on the purpose of my 2012 resolution, I realize that I did meet my goal. I read more in general. I read more non-fictions. Like, a lot more. I think in 2011 I read five books. I read 18 1/2 in 2012. Win in my book (no pun intended). It's something I've had to discuss with my debate kids ("Was your goal really to make it to nationals, or was it to become a better debater in the process?"). I have to practice what I preach.

While I celebrate the holiday and ring in the new year with friends, I'll also be looking ahead to 2013 and what I want to have accomplished, or what I want to have done for myself and my sanity despite my busy schedule. So, here you have it folks, my 2013 New Years Resolution list:
  • Read 30 books. Haha, funny. My friends and I are in it together and we're swearing it's actually going to happen this year. But I guess a better goal would be to read more than 18 1/2. We'll see. Although, I got the sexy Kindle Fire HD for Christmas, so maybe that'll increase my chances. :)
  • 365 Photo Challenge: take a photo a day. It's true what "they" say: "the days are long, but the years are short." I'm not terribly good at it, but I love taking photos, and why should we only capture "special" occasions? It'd be fun to have a year-in-review set of photos to look back on when I think of 2013. 
  • Leave more time for music. I'm a very casual piano, guitar, and now ukulele player. It's so relaxing for me to come home from a stressful day and sit at an instrument (especially the piano). I want to do more of that; we can all use more peace.
  • Run in the Color Run 5K. I'm in such bad shape and I need to be thinking more about my health. Now, I always say this and I never follow through, so my hopes aren't too high for this one. Bad attitude, but so it goes.
  • Graduate with my bachelor's degree (going to happen) and get into graduate school, the latter of which I'm very worried about. It's freaking competitive and I have mediocre academic accomplishments. Scary, man.
  • Blog more. I don't want to limit myself to just book reviews and such things; it gets boring for you and for me. Not that my life is otherwise exciting, but god, blogging about the same thing always gets old.
That's all she wrote... Here's to a successful, happy, healthy, and enjoyable 2013... Cheers!

It is also my blog's one year anniversary!

One Year Ago

No comments:

Post a Comment